Skip to main content

Found a new Blog I love and a great post I need to share

Home
  • Shop Prints
  • About
  • Contact
  • Resume
  • Events
  • Unfortunate Things People say at Art Fairs

    I posed a question to my artist peers online asking them what is the number one worse thing you've ever heard at an art fair.
    I was looking for a pattern to choose the the ones that stood out, but something else happened instead.
    There were in fact, comments that came up a lot, but it was mostly feedback that magnified to me the level of disrespect the general public has toward art.
    So I'm going to tackle a subject that artists face when they sell their work:
    American Ignorance About Art
    I'm going to use some of the comments and themes I received to illustrate what's actually being said, and why it's disrespectful.
    1. 'You made all this? You must have a lot of free time!'
    I know some of you out there know this, but for those of you who don't, making art for a living is a job.
    The perception that what a career artist does is a hobby, or not a real job should be taken out back and shot.
    I work 7 days a week. I get up at 6am every day. I work 8 or more hours a day.
    Am I lost in my happy place in front of a canvas this whole time?
    No, I'm not. Outside of painting (which I do if I'm inspired or not, tired or not, in pain or not, burned out or not) I'm running a business.  If you've never had your own business, it's a lot of work.  There's always something that has to be done that I have to negotiate wtih my painting time. Things I hate doing, but if I want to sell art legally, I must do (for instance 6 to 8 seperate  quarterly or yearly tax returns for all the states I sell in). Besides the legalities, there's tracking sales, printing and editing, delivering, research, blogging, website maintenance, scanning and editing, applications, and on and on.
    2. Expressing shock and anger at pricing.
    This is a big one, but here goes.... We artists don't want to offend you with a cutting comeback. We don't want to waste our energy on people who say rude or ignorant things about our pricing. So here's a breakdown of my own reasons for pricing.
    Yearly costs to do shows: $20,000
    Cost of supplies per year $3600
    Basic Living Costs like rent, food, insurance and phone and car payment $20,900
    For a total of $ 44,500 per year to be an artist AND live in a house. Which, after what I made in 2012, places me firmly in the poverty level for a single adult.
    If I priced my work any lower, I would be homeless.
    You may be wondering by now WHY ON EARTH I do this. I mean, it makes no finacial sense right?! Not really. But I'm an artist. It's what I love. So I'm gonna hang in there.
    We know that things are tough out there. We don't expect everyone out there to buy things they can't afford. If the art in my booth is too expensive for you, just enjoy the art.  I mean, ask yourself...'Where am I?'
    You're at an art fair. Not the fun park, or a dollar store. Enjoy the art. Maybe you'll find something you can buy, maybe not. But don't judge the pricing of an artists' work until you know what it took to make it.
    3. What drugs do you use?
    This comment doesn't offend me. However, I want you to know that I don't shoot up, snort drugs, or drink a fifth and storm into my studio to commence painting.
    I chew gum sometimes. That has some chemicals in it I suppose. Who knows, maybe bubble gum is affecting my brain?
    4. Did YOU do this?
    I think so, I mean, I remember doing it. Now I'm not sure.
    5. How long did it take you to make that?
    Does it matter? Every hour of time I have spent making art went into whatever piece of art I create. Some take a short time, some take longer. It doesn't matter.
    5. 'You know what you should do?'
    Yes, I do. That's what makes me an artist. It's my call. Which is why I don't work for someone else, and why I take leaps of faith and giant risks.
    I know that the human brain works by association. That art fair goers see an overwhelming amount of art at shows.  You see something, and your brain says 'oh! that looks like PeeWee's Playhouse!' Which makes your brain think of a tee-shirt you liked, which makes you think my work would be great on a tee-shirt. So you tell me, 'You know what you should do....?'
    From my perspective as an artist....I just want you to enjoy the art and maybe buy something if it inspires you. Threre's no firm rule here, but think of it this way:
    You just built...let's say a couch. You invite your friend over to see it, and the first thing she says is, you guessed it, 'You know what you should do?' All the time energy and planning just flew out the door. Because your friend isn't even seeing the couch.
    See the couch.
    Try to understand what you're seeing before you say something.  If you don't understand what your seeing, ask us what WE were seeing when we created it. Who knows, it might turn into a great conversation.

    This is so true,  shared from http://www.juliadams.com/new-blog/ check out her other musing
     

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    New Give Away 1/25/2010

    Give Away -- Beads

    Hey out there